Why we offset
Every day, hundreds of thousands of e-commerce packages travel through postal systems around the world. Delivering your jewellery is only the last part of the product's journey; our entire supply chain has a carbon footprint. Sourcing materials and transforming them into the Yala earrings and necklaces that you love unfortunately creates planet-warming carbon pollution.
Our ultimate goal is to achieve carbon neutrality, and in the meantime, we believe Yala should be held accountable for our environmental impact. This is part of our effort to measure our global footprint in line with international certification standards, and achieve carbon neutrality.
We now offset 100% of the carbon emissions created when we ship your orders to you.
The environmental impact of shipping Yala products from our HQ to your door is completely neutralised and it won't cost you anything extra. It will give you peace of mind to know that when you shop with us, you're making a positive impact on people and the planet.
How we do it
For every purchase made, we will automatically invest in verified emissions reductions, more commonly known as “offsets” through our partner EcoCart.
These offsets support environmental projects, such as wind and solar farms that create clean energy, or protecting trees that would otherwise be cut down so that they can continue to absorb carbon from the air. In addition, we make sure that these projects are doing some extra good like protecting animals or supporting underserved communities.
Now when a Yala Jewellery package arrives at your door, you’ll get something you love and you can be proud of the fact that you’re taking a small step towards making a big change in the world.
What else you can do
- First, focus on the energy efficiency of your home. Efficiency is also the easiest way to save money. Program your thermostat. Check in with your own energy provider and see if they offer rebates on LED light bulbs, efficient appliances, smart meters, upgraded insulation or other cost-effective upgrades like efficient water fixtures. Ask your energy provider if they offer a home energy audit.
- If you own your home, installing solar panels might make financial sense for you. In some cases, you can install solar panels with no upfront cost while lowering your energy bill each month. If solar is not appropriate or possible where you live, ask your energy provider if they offer a green power program.
- Choose brands with legitimate sustainability initiatives. Whether it’s carbon neutral products, a sustainable supply chain, recycled materials, or eco-friendly packaging, we should all do our best to limit the carbon footprint of the products we buy.
- Drive less and cycle more. You’ll get some exercise while helping the environment. Plus, it requires much less energy to produce a bike than it does to manufacture a car. If you can’t cycle, consider using public transport. It means fewer cars on the road, which reduces the amount of exhaust filling the air.
- Choose reusable bottles, bags, and anything else that you usually use just once then throw away. If that isn't possible for you, make sure to properly recycle any plastic, paper, glass or metal that you use (including Yala packaging).
- Most important of all, be kind to yourself. No one is 100% perfect all the time.
If we all do our part by making small changes to our buying habits, shopping more sustainably, supporting companies that care about their impact on the Earth, and advocate for the future we deserve, we can contribute to real change in the world.